Monday, September 14, 2009

I suppose I owe you all a blog entry

Wish I had something exciting to say! Everything is just sort of about waiting right now.

I have no reports from the doctors appointments because I did not have my last one - my fabulous Army health center cancled it because they were overbooked. (don't get me started... there was much crying on my part.) So yes, I am now past the 8 month pregnant mark and I am supposed to be seeing a doctor AT LEAST weekly and I will have roughly a month between my last visit and the next one. Hopefully he is ok.

The upside is that this might have convinced Allen to let me hire a doula that we can't really afford. I think he is finally convinced that since we are first time parents, we need someone to advocate for us who actually knows what they are doing. The upside is that the place I would like to go for doula services will let us do a payment plan. I know this really isn't in the budget-of-an-Army-family (especcially one with two new cars... what on earth were we thinking?!) but it keeps going through my head "what if." Yaknow... like what if something terrible happens while I am delivering that could have been prevented... I think I would spend the rest of my life regretting that we didn't make the little splurge. But then again, I guess 80 years ago, babies were delivered in barns and most of them turned out ok... Eh. I guess we will see.

We did, however, make our birth plan. (see below... I suppose it is a little personal but if a. no one besides family reads this and b. if anyone is that terribly interested that they bother, they are welcomed to the info).

Lots of little cramps... nothing huge. He still has a little less than 4 weeks in there. I am kind of hoping he doesn't get too comfortable!

Also finally packed our baby bags. I had to pick out Keaghan's "coming home from the hospital" outfit. I actually picked two. We have a few things in preemie size and since he has been measuring small, I decided it probably won't hurt to take one of the preemie outfits just in case. Also, took two of the recieving blankets from Aunt Becky and Uncle Cory (thank you guys, by the way! You have a real thank you card coming in the next week.. I promise, but I figured I would give the shout out anyway).

So that's pretty much everything here.... just waiting. And uncomfortable. :) I miss you guys.... I really wish my family were here.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Birth Preferences - Brooke Susann Dunbar (SSN: xxx-xx-xxxx; sponsor SSN: xxx-xx-xxxx)
Due Date: 10/12/2009
Scheduled to deliver at Darnall Women's Health Center


09/08/2009
To Whom It May Concern,The following are the hopes and desires of my husband and I for the delivery of our son. Be assured that we are completely aware that both labor and delivery are completely unpredictable and circumstances may present themselves that make our desires impossible or risky. Ultimately, the health and well being of our child is our goal and we are willing to be flexible in order to achieve that goal. Our only request is that any procedure that varies from our birthing plan is explained to us if at all possible before any action is taken.
Sincerely,
Brooke Dunbar

Labor
I wish to be able to move around and change position at will throughout labor for as long as possible.
I would like to be able to have fluids by mouth throughout the first stage of labor.
I would like to wear contact lenses or glasses at all times when conscious.
In the event that my baby is breech, I do not wish to have him turned manually by external cephalic version.

Anesthesia/Pain Medication
I would like to have a standard epidural or a low dose walking epidural.
I would like to have these our options explained to us as soon as possible.

Cesarean
I would like my husband present at all times if my baby requires a Cesarean delivery.
I do not wish to have my arms or hands strapped down unless I am unable to control them. I understand the necessity of maintaining a sterile surgical field.
If my baby is not in distress, my baby should be given to my husband immediately after birth.
If a Cesarean delivery is indicated, I would like to be fully informed and to participate in the decision-making process if time allows.

Episiotomy
I would prefer not to have an episiotomy unless absolutely required for my baby's safety.
I would appreciate guidance in when to push and when to stop pushing so the perineum can stretch.

Delivery
I would like a mirror available so I can see my baby's head when it crowns.
I would like the chance to touch my baby's head when it crowns.
I would appreciate having the room lights turned low for the actual delivery unless it is medically necessary to make them brighter.
I would like to have my baby placed on my stomach/chest immediately after delivery.

Immediately After Delivery
I would like to have my husband cut the cord.
I would like to hold my baby while I deliver the placenta and any tissue repairs are made.

Postpartum
Unless required for health reasons, I do not wish to be separated from my baby.
Breastfeeding
I plan to breastfeed my baby and would like to begin nursing very shortly after birth.
I do not want my baby to be given a pacifier.
I would like to meet with a lactation consultant.
Unless medically necessary, I do not wish to have any bottles given to the baby (with the exception of fluids being used to dull the pain of circumcision)

Circumcision
I would like my baby to be circumcised before we check out of the hospital.
I would like someone to meet with us to explain this procedure.

Other
My support person is my husband, SSG Allen Dunbar and I would like him to be present during labor and/or delivery. If his work duties deter him from arriving immediately, a friend may sub for him until he is able to arrive at which point he will take over as my support person. Also, if timing allows and she is able to get a flight, my mother, Wendy Lippert may also be present. I would like to request that any other visitors be turned away prior to myself and my baby being moved to the Mother/Baby unit of the hospital at which point we will accept visitors at our discretion.
The baby’s name (assuming it is a boy as the ultrasounds indicated) is to be Keaghan Robert Dunbar.

1 comment:

  1. Oh baby girl, this is so sweet. You really are going to be a mommy. Why do you seem so grown up all of the sudden?

    By the way,I am still laughing at your facebook status message. Your librarian laughed at you? That is just mean. :) still laughing.

    You will be a great mom.

    Love you!!! Mama

    ReplyDelete